Once you have decided to select VPS hosting as your hosting plan, the very next thing you need to sort out is the operating system for your VPS host. But people usually think that to select an OS, they need deep technological expertise. But not to worry, till the end of this blog you will get a clear idea that which OS is the best for your website.
Cheapest VPS hosting India comes in many forms and pricing packages but the major differentiating factor is its OS. Each of the OS that a VPS host is configured with has its own set of specifications and distributions. Each of these configurations serves a different purpose and is suitable for a different kind of business and website.
This confusion arises as most of the people are unclear about the purpose of their VPS host. After clearing it out it is important to present it to your cheapest VPS hosting India provider. Although most of such providers have consultants or expertise to suggest going pre-informed will harm no one.
There are a set of things that you need to be pre-informed or should know the purpose of some, they are such as –
- What Kind of website you want to host?
- What is the Coding platform of your website?
- What is your target audience?
- What is the ultimate aim of your enterprise?
- What is the budget at last?
You might be thinking that what the worse could happen if you choose the wrong OS for your website. Things will get worse when the traffic will start to shoot and the wrong OS will not be able to handle such high traffic and this will result in low functionality, poor performance, etc. All of this will lead to frequent and elongated downtime. But a detailed study of the major OS for your VPS host will save you from going through all of this.
- Windows Operating System– Windows is one of the most preferred OS with a VPS host. But people get confused between Windows client edition that you install used in local systems like Windows 10 or 8. When we talk about Windows OS for a VPS host it is the Windows server editions like Windows server 2019 or 2008 R2, etc. Windows’ client edition is specially designed that can be used by an individual for its personal use. Whereas a Windows server is designed in a way to manage multiple users or programs simultaneously. Windows is not the Cheapest VPS hosting India option as it costs more due to its license for installation which is costlier than others. But it is still the best option when applications are running over .NET.
A Windows server edition is designed to support powerful hardware. The very major factor that differentiates a Windows server and a Windows client is its ability to support multiple processors. This feature of the Windows server is especially very beneficial for a website hosted over a VPS host.
A Windows server is a preferred OS specially when-
- You are surfing web
- You are running roles and features
- You are running a website
- you running a VPN server
- you are using it as a storage server
- you are using it as an update server
- you are operating applications 24*7
- Linux Operating System– Linux is an open-source platform that makes it a very demanding OS for your virtual private server. Being Linux an open-source platform it comprises more distributions as compared to other OS platforms. A Linux OS is so flexible that people can even change their code to create their own distribution. It is also generally called a Linux kernel. It is also considered to be a mass distribution platform. For a VPS hosting platform, server edition plays the most important role.
Multiple distributions of Linux serve multiple kinds of applications. Like for example, to run web applications, CentOS and Ubuntu distribution are preferred. Linux is considered to work best for applications based on the PHP platform but keeps other platforms into consideration also.
Here are some of the instances where Linux is a preferred OS-
- To run a website
- To run a VPN server
- To run a web-application
- To run a backup server
- To run testing processes
- To run a mail server
The major differences between a Windows VPS and Linux VPS host have been already mentioned but there are some more technical specifications that are equally necessary while choosing OS for the VPS server. One issue you might find with a Windows VPS host is that it needs rebooting more frequently. Windows keeps on updating your applications more often as compared to Linux. Hence, Windows also has an edge over Linux on some points.
Now if we come to the budget part at last, so if you are lacking at it then Linux is the definite choice for you. But if budget is not an issue then you can choose Windows as it might turn out to be expensive. But don’t doubt the capabilities of a Linux VPS server by its cost. Linux VPS server provides you full access to the server, unlike the Windows VPS server.
Now we hope that more than half of your doubts have been cleared till now. Our ultimate agenda is that you must choose the best OS for your VPS host.